Dec
02

Sorry for the lack of recent posts!

Hello everyone!

I apologize for the lack of updates, and for the shortness of this update. My semester has been hectic to say the least. I have taken the Mathematics Subject GRE twice now and I am currently working on finishing my 12 (!?) graduate school applications, so my research has been pushed to the side for a little bit.

However, we have been making some progress. The current model is quite complicated, but we feel it is much more accurate than our previous ones had been. We have determined a bifurcation parameter that we will use for the time being. As such, we will begin to study the stability of the bifurcation at our bifurcation point. We will have to do a lot of algebraic manipulation, but we should be able to find out whether the derivative is positive or negative at that point. From this, we can determine whether we only have one non-trivial equilibrium, or if we have two, and the possibility for oscillation. This is what we hope to find, since the time series data for the Blue Crab shows an oscillatory pattern.

I have had my abstract accepted to travel to Boston and present my research in a poster presentation in the Joint Mathematics Meetings in the first week of January. I am very excited by this opportunity and I hope that I will be able to meet people from all over the country with similar interests (and perhaps professors from the graduate schools that I am applying to!). I will let you all know how that goes!

In terms of my honors thesis, I have not begun much work on the actual writing part, as our model has been changing constantly. However, in the next few weeks (after finals end…), I will spend some time reading over papers and writing my introduction to explain everything that I have done. One of the hardest parts of this honors thesis is that I have to explain some of the mathematics to people who do not know any of it. This blog, however, has helped me greatly already and given me good practice, so I hope it won’t be as daunting as it seems to be!

Thanks for reading and I hope everyone has a wonderful Holiday Season!

1. Thanks for the nice article. It is very useful.

Hampton Bay