Dec
17

End of the Year, End of the Data Collection

Well, it’s the holiday season and doing work is inappropriate, so I think I’m going to keep this short….

First of all, more good news!  I finished up collecting all my data – that’s all the sherds I tested over the summer redone, plus 30 new sherds from the Chickahominy River, plus a sample of local clay.  (Only one of the clay samples I collected last month turned out to be pottery-quality clay.)  I don’t yet know what any of the data means, but over break I will get started on my data analysis, and hopefully some interesting patterns will emerge.  (So don’t worry, I’m not slacking off too badly – my break will not be entirely free of work, after all!)  The plan is to use statistics software, initially to make box plots and scatter plots and just generally see what I’m working with, and then maybe move on to some multivariate stuff.  I’ve never done multivariate statistics before, so that will be new and exciting territory for me!

The other thing that’s pretty exciting regarding my project right now is that it looks like I’ll be taking it to the Middle Atlantic Archaeological Conference in March!  Very thrilling.  A bunch of us working with my advisor will be heading over there to give papers, and while I’m pretty nervous about getting something presentable together by a date so early in the semester, I know that the experience will be great.  Plus I’m curious to see the projects other people around here are working on!

Anyway, things seem to be pretty well on track – I originally had wanted to be done with data collection by the end of the summer, but when everything went wrong earlier this semester, I wasn’t sure I would ever be able to be in such good shape as I am now – so hoorah!  I collected all my necessary data with minimal misshaps (I only melted plastic in the drying oven once, and got lost driving to Richard Bland only a couple of times….) and now I’m looking forward to the next step in the process.  And hoping that there will be a lot of snow coming soon.  Happy Holidays, everyone!

1. Alex Brown says:

Thanks so much!

2. Congratulations on the Conference!!!