Jan
14

Final Preparations For Data Analysis

I apologize that it has been quite awhile since I updated. The end of last semester was filled with classes and applying to graduate school, so my thesis sort of took a back seat. As this semester will be light in terms of class load and most of my applications are submitted, I begin the New Year with a focus on research!

At this moment, the goal is to establish an up-to-date and organized database. We in the Emotion Socialization Lab have combed the missing data and found that certain videos were not transcribed or coded. Once all of that is taken care of, I can finally begin data analysis!

I plan on analyzing the emotion conversations between parents and children and examine the affect of parents’ socialization practices on children’s emotion regulation abilities and their connection to children’s social outcomes and symptoms of depression. I will do this by looking at the emotion discussions, particularly the discussion length and the percentage of emotion words used by parents and children. Since frequent emotion talk provides more opportunities for socialization, families with greater emotion word count will have children with higher ratings of emotion regulation capabilities, higher levels of social functioning, and lower levels of internalizing symptoms. Conversely, families who talk less about emotions will be more likely to have children with dysregulated emotions, poorer social functioning, and more internalizing symptoms.

Information from questionnaire data will also be employed in the analysis. Interactions between parent gender, child gender, and emotion type (sadness vs. anger) will be included, as previous research suggests these variables contribute to different developmental pathways. A possible mediator affecting the process of socialization may be the amount of time the parent spends with the child. It may be that the parent gender differences depend on how often the parent and child interact. Some interesting findings may also stem from the differences in the event the children identify as emotion-provoking. For instance, previous research has suggested that fathers may use more emotion words in conversations about events that fall under an achievement domain (for instance, the child being upset about losing a game) than events that are more interpersonally based (the child feeling left out of their group of friends).

So I definitely have my work cut out for me! Also, my submission has been accepted to a conference held by the Society for Research and Child Development, so I will be working on putting together a poster for that. It’s in Seattle, Washington this year, so that will be exciting!

Till next time!

Laura