06

Ready to go into the field

I leave for Utah tomorrow to start fieldwork, and I’m so excited! We’ll be there for almost a month mapping the area and collecting data for my thesis. I won’t have access to Internet (we’ll be camping for the rest of June), so this will be the last time you’ll hear from me until July.

I’ve been busy these last two weeks preparing cross sections, longitudinal profiles, and base maps to guide our fieldwork. I’ve also been looking at older maps of the area and the geologic formations described by past geologists to give me an idea of what we’ll be mapping. In addition, I’ve to searched the literature for information on fault dating and slip analysis techniques to prepare me for my work on the Thousand Lake fault system.

My fieldwork will focus on mapping the area around the fault at a 1:5000 scale (very detailed), investigating the extent of the fault system, and taking detailed notes on the fault’s motion based on scarps and measured displacement. I’ll also be taking samples for future Helium-3 dating and thin section analysis. It should be a lot of fun, and I can’t wait to be on site!