20

Summer Wrap Up!

August 19, 2015

The summer is over folks! Thus far, I’ve really worked to develop and expand upon my theoretical framework for my research project.  My summer work is related to my work for the upcoming school year in that it has prepared me to do further work on my thesis and really helped me to be able to conceptualize what I am interested in studying in a grad school. It has also helped me to figure out what types of grad programs I’m interested in.

As far as my thesis goes, I have completed 10 of the 20 interviews for my research project thus far. I am currently in the process of summarizing those interviews, and plan to be finished soon so that I may begin conducting the other 10 interviews once school starts back up. By September I plan to begin coding the interviews for major themes.

Additionally, I will soon begin sending out links to participants to complete the Stand Up and Be Counted survey constructed by Professor Charity Hudley and Professor Dickter that will provide quantitative data for my project. This psychometric measure is a collection of surveys that seeks to quantitatively examine personal, social, racial, and academic perceptions students hold regarding their experiences here at the college, and also gleans information about their personalities and academic histories. Once I am done surveying my participants (hopefully by the end of September, I will be able to begin the focus group portion of my project, and potentially bring the data collection phase of my research project to a close by mid to late October!

I’m so glad I had an opportunity to begin my thesis research this summer, and even more grateful for the opportunity to conduct an honors thesis at all! This has been a continuous process of growth and non-stop learning, and I can honestly say that it is exhilarating to see all of the knowledge I’ve gained over the past three years combine and inform my research. Stay tuned folks! There is much more to come ☺