May
16

The Final Update

The last few steps have been taken, and I am now officially and Alumna of the College of William & Mary. I am so thankful for the opportunity to be an Honors Fellow, and I have learned so much from the process (as you may have noticed from my blog posts). The last few weeks have been a whirlwind full of “lasts” and goodbyes.

Before I get too sentimental, here is an update on my defense. I put together a Powerpoint to highlight some of the general themes and findings in my thesis. Due to time limits, this acted as an overview before the defending really started. Once I finished my presentation, the committee members and then my audience members asked me questions.

It was an incredible experience, discussing this important topic in front of scholars and peers. I really feel as though the defense went well and I was able to convey the greater messages present in my work. Once the questions were over, I left the room as the committee discussed my thesis and defense.

After all of my hard work, the long nights, the phone calls, analyses, and editing, I am pleased to inform all of you that I was awarded Honors for my thesis! Since then, time has flown by through the last final to yesterday’s graduation ceremony. I felt so proud of the work I have done here in the psychology department and with the College and community in general.

With graduation and my defense behind me, I’m looking forward to my next few steps. In a few months, I’ll be headed to Drexel University in Philadelphia as a PhD candidate in Clinical Psychology with a concentration in forensics. I will be working on a reentry project for former offenders, studying psychopathy, and completing forensic mental health assessments, among other things. Armed with the knowledge and skills I have gained here at William & Mary, I feel confident and excited to start this next chapter in my personal and professional life!

Before I sign off for good, I’d like to thank everyone who supported me through this project. Thank you to the donors who made this possible, to my advisor who let me work in her lab, my peers in the lab who worked with me, the participants who told me their stories, my friends and family for listening to me talk about my project, and my fiancée who may have read my thesis as many times as I did to help with editing. I could not have done it without each and every one of you.

Good luck to next year’s fellows!

Best,

Sarah

P.S. If you’re interested in reading my thesis in full, it will soon be available in the SWEM archives. Until then, you can find it here:

Perry Thesis