Apr
03

January Updates: Writing and Hayes (2013)

Hi there! These updates pertain, albeit belatedly, to the progress that I have made on my thesis during the month of January:

Specifically in terms of writing, I have focused much of my time on writing up my Social Outcomes section of my Introduction. My overt/relational victimization section alone is 7 pages without references, so I will likely have to cut that portion of my thesis down a bit. Still, I feel that doing such thorough literature reviews has allowed me to really immerse myself in the theoretical foundations for my work. I will also be working to whittle down my Parent and Peer Emotion Socialization section in the coming weeks. Currently, I have already cut it down to 17 pages. Finally, I have been working to finish up my Current Study section, of which I presently have written 2.5 pages. It looks like my thesis will be rather long, after all!

I have also been immersing myself in Hayes’s (2013) seminal book on a statistical software called Process, which estimates model parameters via an ordinary least squares regression-based path-analytic framework. Process is further characterized and strengthened by its ability to simultaneously model direct and indirect effects, as well as its ability to construct bias-corrected bootstrapping confidence intervals for parameter products. I am really excited to be utilizing this software, as it allows for the testing of a variety of complex statistical models and I feel that I now better understand the types of questions that I may ask when conducting mediational analyses. I will be reading the last few chapters of the book next month!

Eight months down, four to go! Thank you for tuning in and I look forward to sharing more of my progress in the coming weeks!

Hayes’s (2013) book:

Hayes, A. F. (2013). Introduction to mediation, moderation, and conditional process analysis: A regression-based approach. New York, NY: Guilford Press.

*