Jul
24

July Blog Post–An Alternative Approach

My recent attempts to perform the aromatic substitution have not been particularly successfully. Therefore, I have been looking up alternative procedures to achieve the pendant amine. Initial tests of new procedures on the unsubstituted ligand yielded little amount of product. To work around this, I decided to use the same procedure on the precursor of the ligand and build up from there.

Aside from attaching a pendant amine to the ligand scaffold, I discovered that one of the intermediates of the reactions contains a carboxylate functional group that can also act as a proton relay. In addition, it will be relatively easy to run a nucleophilic attack at the carboxylate carbonyl to tether an amine.

Trekking in the uncharted water is challenging, but I am confident that I am heading toward a good direction.

Speak Your Mind

*