27

AP axis neural plasticity-3

Hi all! So many exciting stuff has happened in July. The most exciting thing was: I went to Minneapolis! And of course, it was for the Society for Developmental Biology annual meeting. I presented my research at the meeting, got lots of feedback, and attended talks about other developmental biologists’ research for 4 full days. I learned so much from this trip.

Now, in terms of my project, we have done complete histology analysis on the ISH embryos of 3 candidate genes: Prdm13, Ptf1a, and Gsx1, with an n of 2. Surprisingly, we didn’t see any significant change in pattern of candidate gene expression between sham and rotated embryos. Between the two conditions, only the intensity of the signal varied. This prompted us to ask that if these genes show no differential expression pattern at stage 30, then at what stage do they differ? Naturally, we focused on earlier stages, as we hypothesized that immediately after transplantation, there has to be a period of time when anterior marker genes are expressed in the posterior and vice versa. Thus I have started to fix my transplants at stages between 14 and 17. Our primary candidate gene would be otx2, as it has significant expression level and anterior enough localization at the above mentioned stages. We are very excited to see the results of the ISH as we don’t know what to expect at all.

My trpv project is also going very well. As I mentioned before, trpv2 is expressed at the cement gland. I performed additional ISH on trpv5 and trpv6. It turns out trpv5 is expressed at the anal opening, and trpv6 shows pixelated expression at dorsal epidermis. Our next step would be to widen the stages of embryos we do ISH on, and trying to clone the rest of the trpv family genes, 1, 3, and 4.

*