01

July update

After I got my new IRB that reflects the changes I had made approved, I started making a new set of materials (posters, qualtrics survey, etc) to get ready for the fall recruitment. Since I can’t really get started on the study until incoming W&M freshmen arrive on the campus, I have been working on the introduction section of my thesis paper. We are currently discussing the possibility of adding a qualitative portion to the honors project, in order to obtain a rich, detailed picture of the intersections between mental health and social support among underrepresented students.

1. Hello!

I’m sorry to hear about your difficulties recruiting subjects for your research! I’m sure you will be successful with the new plan. In the meantime, I’m wondering what research you have included in your introduction to your thesis. You mentioned in an earlier post that little research has been done on the mental health of first-generation college students, so are you extrapolating from more broad research on under-represented groups? Have you shifted the focus of your research overall to be more broad as a result of the new recruitment plan, or do you still intend to focus on first-generation college students? I’m also interested to know if you’ve considered working with HOPE, the Counseling Center, or similar services on campus to learn about the mental health and social support of under-represented student groups. I know a lot of groups offer services to emphasize healthy living in more than just the physical sense, so I’m wondering if they have any data regarding if any of the groups you’re thinking of studying utilize these programs. I think your project is very interesting, and I look forward to seeing how it progresses throughout the school year!

-Brittany

*