03

July Update

Time flies when you’re having fun (conducting research). I looked up and July was gone. I completed my second chapter of my thesis, my literature review; however, obtaining research participants has been my greatest challenge. Particularly because I am looking to have participants from another university. Thus far, I have reached out to Department chairs, the President of their Greek life, and placed messages on their community boards with no luck. I fear that doing off-campus research may be placed on hold until these students return and I can revamp my recruiting efforts. For the next three weeks, I will continue to revise my literature review and seek out recruiting opportunities for participants. Any ideas or suggestions (or things that have worked for you) please let me know!

Until next time,

Dara

1. Hi Brittany!

Thank you for your feedback. With your advice, I decided to reach out to Department Chairs in departments like mine (Government) and found an incredible network of professors who were eager to assist me with my survey-based research. Thank you soooo much! I appreciate it.

2. Hi Dara,

I think your research sounds incredibly interesting, and I’m looking forward to seeing what conclusions you make after the interviews! A few summers ago, I also conducted survey-based research, and I struggled in finding participants too, so you’re not alone! Have you tried reaching out to any clubs like an African American Students Association or whatever political groups are on campus? Maybe student organizations will be more responsive than open posts or administration in the summer. Also, I’m not sure how feasible this is, but maybe you could also obtain alumni information from high schools in Loudon County and Norfolk? Those were just a couple thoughts I had while reading through your posts. I know research can be frustrating, but your project is going to be awesome and hopefully have a positive impact on education!

-Brittany

*