28

August Update: Time for Statistics!

I have made good progress on my introduction so I am now gathering all of the questions and codebooks from the original Add Health study and putting them all into spreadsheets. This will make it much easier when I can start running statistical analysis next week. Below is a sample of some of the questions I have been coding:

Add Health assessed mentor relationships with questions like, “other than your parents or step-parents, has an adult made an important positive difference in your life at any time since you were 14 years old?” (no, yes, I don’t know).

Add Health assessed the quality of mentoring by asking providing guidance and advice (e.g., “helped guide me in the right direction,” “guided me on life decisions.” Providing emotional support (e.g., “she’s always there for me,” “encouraged me to be myself.” Providing practical help (e.g., “helped me get a job, write up my resume,” “helped me move.” Being like a parent (e.g., “acted like a mom to me,” “has been like a father figure.” Serving as a role model (e.g., “an inspiration in my life,” “I tried to follow in his footsteps”).

Add Health assessed relations emerging adolescence with questions like, “how old do you feel compared with others your age?” (0 younger all of the time, 4 older all of the time). For social maturity and taking on adult responsibilities, adolescents were asked to rate how fast they grew up in regard to their same-aged peers: faster, at about the same rate, or slower. Adult status was based on the question “how often do you think of yourself as an adult?” (0 never, 4 all of the time) (Add Health: Harris, 2009).

*