Apr
29

Defended and Completed

Wow.

I find myself at the end of an incredible (and incredibly enlightening) journey. I defended my thesis and it went swimmingly, resulting in me receiving Highest Honors. I have a few loose ends to wrap up and beyond that, I’m done.

I just want to thank each and every one of you who made this possible in some way, shape, or form. From my donors to those who had kind words and support for me (or even just let me ramble), you all made this experience incredible. I felt extra grateful to have many friends come to my defense, voluntarily listening to me talk more about this after listening to it for the last year and a half.

Not only has this thesis made me a better scholar, but I truly believe it has made me a better person. I have a deeper understanding of the challenges others face, as well as a deeper empathy towards them – be they human or nonhuman. I have adjusted my activism to fit reality (abandoning the harmful misconceptions I had previously believed about pet-owners), but I also adjusted my reality to more accurately match my morals (abandoning meat consumption and working towards more intersectional approaches to things).

Looking forward, I hope to publish some sort of material on this subject, though I’m not sure what that will be yet. But I do know one thing – this won’t be the last I write about the human-animal relationship.

Thank you all. <3

*