31

Back in the Burg

I believe the crazy final push of summer research and senior year as a whole can be best characterized by the following excerpt from Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson:

“We are not now that strength which in old days

Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,

One equal temper of heroic hearts,

Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield”

In August while still in Maine my primary goal was to collect as much data on the ability of Eastern mud snail egg capsules to attenuate photosynthetically active irradiance during different stages of development, at different densities, through time, at different light intensities, and at various degrees of fouling. Unlike the mesocosm I mentioned in my previous blog post experiments, these experiments were instantly gratifying providing data within minutes of setting up the apparatus as opposed to weeks of waiting. In the later half of August I began cleaning up and digitizing the data I collected over the summer.

Looking forward, I plan on working closely with Professor Allen to learn the data analysis skills I will need to properly analyze my data.  While crunching the data, I plan on simultaneously identifying areas in which additional data collection over the academic year could strengthen my thesis. Then I plan on beginning to translate my data from the summer into words that can be communicated at future talks and the summer research symposium.

1. It’s nice that the data collection was so successful and you didn’t have to wait weeks! What kind of statistical tests will you be using to analyze your data?

*