Sep
30

Blog Post 6: Halfway there!

“Maturity of mind is the capacity to endure uncertainty”

-John Finley

The past month has been defined by uncertainty: both in the form of grad school induced existential dread and quantifying the uncertainty of my summer data. My two main goals of the past month have been to answer the following questions:

1. What did we find this summer?
  2. How can I fill in the gaps in my summer research over the next two semesters?

While I have not fully elucidated the answer to either of these two questions, I have made some headway on both. In order to answer, the first question I have been slowly, but surely improving my data interpretation skills both through my biostatistics class and meetings with my advisor. Thus far, we have found strong effects of egg capsules on light attenuation and are beginning to peel back the layers of the data from our mesocosm study. Over the past month, my advisor and I have been brainstorming on what data we could collect over the next year to strengthen my thesis. As of now, we plan on conducting additional experiments on the ability of egg capsules to attenuate light and on the effects of temperatures on mud snail laying preference.

*