Nov
03

Emotion Expression – November Blog Post

Danny McNeil

November Blog Post

Emotion Expression

One of the measures I am using for my thesis is called the Emotion Expression Scale for Children (EESC; Penza-Clyve & Zeman, 2002). This measure has two subscales. The first subscale assesses reluctance to express emotions (e.g., “When I’m sad, I try not to show it”). The second subscale assesses poor emotional awareness (e.g., “I often do not know how I am feeling”). One of the hypotheses for my thesis is asking if adolescents can be grouped based on their responses to the EESC subscales. For example, are there groups of adolescents classified by the way they express negative emotions (e.g., high expression, low expression)? And if so, how many groups are appropriate?

Preliminary analyses reveal that 2 distinct groups of adolescents are identified based on the self-reported responses to the Reluctance subscale on the EESC. The first group (22.8%) reported high reluctance, while the second group (77.2%) reported more typical levels of reluctance to express emotions. These groups were identified using Latent Class Analysis (LCA), which I discussed in a previous blog post.

The next steps for my thesis results are comparing the two groups of adolescents. There are many questions to consider. What does it mean to report reluctance to express emotions? Are these adolescents any different than the other group in terms of mental health outcomes? How do the parents of adolescents compare between the two groups?  Lots of exciting progress and results are happening, and I look forward to defending in December!

*