Nov
12

Coding Criteria

During the month of October, I really buckled down when it came to coding, and I successfully completed four out of the five of my interviews I am planning on using. As I’ve been coding, I’ve realized that it is essential that I create some kind of “coding guidelines” to make sure that my classifications are consistent. So, I’ve begun working on a document that explains how and why I’ve classified each particular token of judgment, affect, or appreciation the way I have. This document includes examples of each type of evaluation, as well as examples for coding criteria within each type, such as emotion. For example, as I’ve been coding affect in my interviews, I’ve been recording each specific emotion that my speakers are expressing. However, I’m realizing that I need to narrow down the specific options for emotions. Adding rules like these to  my coding document will increase the validity of my results.

I’ve also begun a literature search for articles relating to Dubois’ (2008) stance triangle, as I’ve decided that, since the Appraisal Framework is relatively new and not widely known, it is necessary to ground my research in a more famous and respected methodology. The stance triangle emphasizes that stance acts are made up of three components: evaluating an object, positioning the self in relation to that object, and aligning the self with other subjects, speakers, and discourses. I will be investigating the ways in which vegans carry out the first part of the stance triangle, evaluation, using the Appraisal Framework. However, I’m also hoping to expand my analysis to investigate the positioning and alignment also described by Dubois.

Overall, my research is moving along smoothly. The next steps are to go back over all of my transcripts to check that they agree with my coding criteria document, and to continue my literature search!

*