Feb
12

Final Coding

At this point in time, I have finished coding all of my transcripts. This means that each speaker’s Excel file has been filled with their respective tokens of affect, judgment, and appreciation according to the criteria of the Appraisal framework (Martin and White, 2005). All the tokens have also been organized around central themes of the interview, since my analysis using the stance triangle (Du Bois, 2007) will consider stances vegans build toward some of the most common stance objects in the vegan community. Additionally, I created a coding guidelines document which has allowed me to keep my coding decisions consistent and to go back over my transcripts to ensure that they have been coded correctly.

At the end of the first semester, I created a detailed outline for my final paper, and I have completed writing the introductory, literature review, and methodology sections. To do this, I created an annotated bibliography with numerous sources on the stance triangle, the Appraisal framework, and veganism in general. The introductory chapter discusses some background on veganism as a movement, and the theoretical background chapter outlines the two frameworks I am using. I am hoping to add more examples of studies that have been done using each framework as I continue working on my project.

The goal for the second semester is to continue filling in the section of my paper devoted to analysis. This analysis will be broken down into two chapters: one on the stance triangle, and one on the Appraisal framework. The chapter utilizing the Appraisal framework will be broken down into sections discussing affect, judgment and appreciation across speakers, while the chapter on stance will be divided into sections based on common themes in the interviews, such as the “How I Became a Vegan Story.” Currently, I am pulling out excerpts from my transcripts to include in the Appraisal analysis section of my paper. I have also created a document that summarizes the frequencies of the various types of affect and judgment for each speaker, so that I can include some numerical values and percentages in my final paper.

*