Apr
01

Statistics

(I also thought I had posted this a few months ago, but here it is now!)

Earlier this semester, I focused on my analysis. As I explained in a previous blog post, I am using Actor Partner Interdependence Modeling (APIM), which accounts for similarity between dyads. Using this, I can look at how socialization processes function in adolescent friendships while accounting for the similarity in behavior and traits that drives adolescents to become friends in the first place.

Now, I am conducting mediated APIMs. Mediation is a basic type of statistical analysis used to see if one variable accounts for the relationship between an independent and dependent variable. In context of my project, I am examining how peer emotion socialization predicts aggressive behavior. With the mediated model, I am examining how anger regulation mediates this. In other words, for example, I predict that supportive peer emotion socialization predicts increased anger regulation, which predicts less aggressive behavior.

Learning how to conduct mediated actor-partner interdependence models has been a challenge, but one that vastly expands the scope of my project. Now, instead of just looking at the relationship between socialization and aggression, I can examine one mechanism potentially responsible.

*