Apr
10

El Pan Que Queda/The Bread That Remains: Post-Salvadoran Civil War Memories and Identity

The following is the abstract to my William & Mary 2019-2020 Charles Center & English Departmental Honors Research Project on the Salvadoran Civil War:

If the Central American population in the US is continuously growing, why are Central American narratives constantly placed in the margins of conversations surrounding Latinx communities? Focusing on the era of the Salvadoran Civil War, I will analyze how El Salvador’s history of unstable conditions and foreign interventions have contributed to its negative perception on an international scale. I will collect textual evidence and personal testimonies that will defend a Salvadoran narrative that represents the realities of its people. My creative project will present a narrative that challenges dominant perceptions using the art of poetry, giving a  voice to a history many times distorted. I will create poems that exhibit a mastery of formal and informal forms such as the villanelle, the pantoum, and free verse in order to frame my personal connection to this narrative and the history rooted within it. I will be exploring how memory and trauma function at the level of the State, the community, and the self. 

©Susan Meiselas / Magnum Photos

©Susan Meiselas / Magnum Photos

*