Apr
10

El Pan Que Queda/The Bread That Remains: Post-Salvadoran Civil War Memories and Identity

The following is the abstract to my William & Mary 2019-2020 Charles Center & English Departmental Honors Research Project on the Salvadoran Civil War:

If the Central American population in the US is continuously growing, why are Central American narratives constantly placed in the margins of conversations surrounding Latinx communities? Focusing on the era of the Salvadoran Civil War, I will analyze how El Salvador’s history of unstable conditions and foreign interventions have contributed to its negative perception on an international scale. I will collect textual evidence and personal testimonies that will defend a Salvadoran narrative that represents the realities of its people. My creative project will present a narrative that challenges dominant perceptions using the art of poetry, giving a  voice to a history many times distorted. I will create poems that exhibit a mastery of formal and informal forms such as the villanelle, the pantoum, and free verse in order to frame my personal connection to this narrative and the history rooted within it. I will be exploring how memory and trauma function at the level of the State, the community, and the self. 

©Susan Meiselas / Magnum Photos

©Susan Meiselas / Magnum Photos

1. Hello! I am so honored that you are so passionate and supportive about my project. It means a lot to know that there are people both in and outside of my community rooting for me with this project. I sincerely hope you stay in touch and this project continues to surprise and amaze you!

2. scerrato says:

I am sorry for another comment, but I am just so excited about your project. As a Latinx person, it breaks my heart to see the way our communities are marginalized through the rhetoric and intervention used on the international scale. However, the negative results we see in Central America are often side effects of said interventions, rather than some fault of the people themselves. I appreciate that your project aims to reclaim the Central American LatinX identity and tell the story from the perception of the people themselves. Again, I hope this project is not only successful, but fulfilling for you. I am so excited to follow along.

*