May
08

Summer Update: Tell Me What You Really Think

I have taken all of my exams; I have finished all my papers; I have given my last presentation. To summarize: It is summer and I am free to really get to working on my project!

This past semester, I was in a course, called Long-Form Fiction, taught by my advisor, Professor Castleberry. The idea of this course was to get started with the writing and planning of a novel. I left the class with a strong foundation for my piece, some great ideas from workshops, a planning portfolio that I can look back on, the first 60 drafted pages of the novel, and some wonderful friendships. We all got so close that in this class, we asked to use our final exam period, just so that we could get together and workshop one last time. I’m getting a bit teary-eyed about it as I write this. It’s not often that you find a group of people who are actually willing to read a rough draft of a novel; typically, a rough draft of a novel is the type of thing that can clear a room pretty quickly.

Since I have been home in Northern Virginia, I have been working on editing the work that I have done so far, as well as looking at the comments from my classmates. Today, I realized that I needed to leave my house, so I went to the nearby public library. Some sad little part of me weirdly misses Swem Library at William & Mary. But at this library, I had to bring all my stuff with me when I needed to get up because I have to keep reminding myself that the honor code is not a universal thing and people can and will steal my stuff if I give them an opportunity. Wanting to be a bit *spontaneous*, I got a library card in the moment so that I could get a couple of memoirs that I am trying to base the style of my piece off of. I am starting off my summer with reading Amy Poehler’s Yes Please, Mindy Kaling’s Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns), and Anna Kendrick’s Scrappy Little Nobody. All due back by May 29th. I forgot that real libraries don’t let you keep books for months and months. Time to get reading.

Thank you to everyone joining me on this adventure!

*