01

First Month at Lawyers Without Borders

July 1st wraps up my first month of working at Lawyers Without Borders! My time working here is flying by quickly, and I am gaining hands on education related to children’s rights internationally. The knowledge I am gaining here is contextualizing the work for my honors thesis within the larger framework of international human rights advocacy.

This summer, I am simultaneously learning about American political polarization as a DC Summer Institute fellow and conducting research for Lawyers Without Borders’ Jamaica Child Protection Compact Project. Most of my work has involved analyzing Jamaican Standard Operating Procedures for working with child victims of trafficking and making recommendations for improvement, which has led me to spend a lot of time researching the needs of trafficking children. My English Honors Thesis focuses on family separation as explored by Caribbean immigrant literature of the 1990s, so my research here has illuminated issues related to child rights in the Caribbean, as well as the needs of children who are separated from their families and face additional trauma.

In addition, my studies as an American Politics fellow at the DC summer institute have informed the policy connections I am making with my literary research. I have found that issues of political polarization in America, particularly reduced dimensionality of conflict, prevent political figures from reaching policy decisions that support immigrant children and create a policy landscape that leaves children more likely to be separated from their parents (more information on the intersection of reduced dimensionality of conflict and immigration in my next post!)

My current project at Lawyers Without Borders working on Jamaica’s standard operating procedures for identifying trafficked children will likely dominate the rest of my time working here, so over the course of the next few weeks I will be posting connections between my research here with the reading I am conducting for my thesis.

*