11

Summary: End of the Summer!

Hi everyone! I cannot believe how quickly this summer of research flew by. It feels like just yesterday I was beginning my first experiment on the resistance to thyroid hormone (RTH) mutants. Although I am definitely ready to get some rest before the school year begins once again, I am very proud of the work I accomplished during the past few weeks! After successfully characterizing the intracellular localization patterns of my RTH mutants, I delved into the field of cell autophagy. I did some co-transfections with a thyroid cancer associated TR mutant and microtubule-associated protein 1A/1B-light chain 3 (LC3).

Although I observed successful co-expression of LC3 and my cancer mutant, there was and but no colocalization between the two proteins. This led me to investigate the relationship between protein aggregation, aggresome formation and autophagy. I concluded my summer with some preliminary work with the aggresome marker, GFP-170. My data, although limited, looks incredibly promising. There is a high degree of colocalization between my aggresome and the cancer associated mutant. Once the fall semester begins, I will continue to perform experiments with GFP-170, but this time I will make use of the confocal microscope. Not only will it allow me to obtain higher quality images of my cells, it will also allow me to properly quantify the degree of colocalization.

I’m really excited! I’m leaving Williamsburg with a clear direction of where I’d like to take my project next.

I want to thank everyone who supported me throughout this project; from my family, to my advisors and lab colleagues. I could not have accomplished half of what I did this summer without your invaluable support. Finally, I would like to thank to everyone who donated to my Honors fund, and to everyone who has been following these posts! I hope you found my research as intellectually stimulating as entertaining. Thank you!

*