22

Post 10: Summary of my Summer Work

As the summer comes to a close, I’m pleased with the progress I’ve made through my research and I am looking forward to the work on my Honors thesis in my last two semesters at William and Mary. I will be able to incorporate the materials I found in my trip by means of thorough analysis and through tying his unexamined works into the overarching themes I’ve identified in West’s work.

Additionally, the work I did on re-reading West’s writings and reading supplementary materials is going to prove useful in the upcoming semester.

As a recap, here is a rough summary of the key ways the weeks were spent:

A week of research, preparation, contacting archives, and locating materials.

A very busy week of traveling to Harvard, Brown, and Yale. Research at archives.

A week in which I unpacked the materials and research I had done at the archives.

A week in which I re-read Nathanael West’s novels, short stories, letters, etc.

A week in which I read most updated biographies on West; read relevant sections of biographies of William Carlos Williams, S.J. Perelman.

A week in which I watched all films associated/adapted from West’s novels, esp. Day of the Locust.

A week in which I read the most influential book-length studies on West and relevant secondary material.

A week in which I continued to aggregate a list of articles to read (checking American Literary Scholarship and MLA Bibliography.)

A week in which I continued to delve into my materials and organize my notes into something more cogent.

A week in which I reviewed and examined all I have done in addition to editing and adding to my ever-growing collection of notes.

See the last post for additional details about what I accomplished this summer, and read all my posts to see a detailed description of my findings.

I’d like to thank the Charles Center and the donors to my project for making my summer research and travel possible– without their help I would have been much more limited in what I could achieve during these past few months.

*