28

Summary Post

It appears my summer experience has come to an end! The opportunity to juxtapose my research against the real, hands on experience I was receiving at Lawyers Without Borders was invaluable. My focus on child trafficking at Lawyers Without Borders allowed me to dive in depth into a particular realm of family separation, in which the exploitation of children results in separated immigrant families. Furthermore, my experience at the William & Mary Summer American Politics Institute allowed me to gain a solid grasp on American political polarization, which greatly influences U.S. immigration policy. Going forward, I am eager to take my hands-on experience from this summer and apply it within a literary context, using my three core texts to explore family separation within 1990s Caribbean immigrant literature.

Going forward, I am seeking to ask- how has political polarization shifted since the 1990s and how does this relate to both a.) the literature of immigrant communities and b.) U.S. immigration policy response? Can we use the literature of 1990s immigrants to propel positive change in modern U.S. immigration policy?

Thank you to everyone who has been following along- your support means the world to me!

*