Oct
15

Blog post 3: Finding the right sources

After delving into Oryx and Crake, I did some research into more specific articles regarding toxicity affecting women. During this stage, I did a lot of reading that a lot of the time…did not quite help me with my project. This was challenging, as I had gone in with a lot of enthusiasm about all of the varied works and information and might have been overzealous in creating such an extensive reading list. While interesting, many of the articles and books that I started looking at did not quite resonate with my project, or at least I don’t think they would. I do remember, however, discussing with my thesis advisor that while some of research I did the summer may seem like they won’t apply to my project, they may come in handy later. One such article, that I have not yet needed, but foresee possibly being useful in the future, is a very science-based article titled “Factors Influencing Toxicity.” For example, the following quote sticks in my mind, as it is a researched, medical issue that:

“In comparison with men, pharmacokinetics in women generally can be impacted by their lower body weight, slower gastrointestinal motility, reduced intestinal enzymatic activity, and slower kidney function (glomerular filtration rate). Delayed gastric emptying in women may result in a need for them to extend the interval between eating and taking medications that require absorption on an empty stomach. Other physiologic differences between men and women also exist. Slower renal clearance in women, for example, may result in a need for dosage adjustment for drugs such as digoxin that are excreted via the kidneys.” (U.S. National Library of Medicine, “Factors Influencing Toxicity,” https://toxtutor.nlm.nih.gov/03-002.html. Accessed March 24 2019.)

This information, while I cannot fit it into my initial literary criticism, may come in handy when I have already gotten farther in my project. That is why I am grateful that I read and took notes on information ranging from the above passage, to articles that detail the endocrine disruptors found at disproportionally higher levels in African American womens’ hair and skin products. This, in many ways, will serve as interdisciplinary scientific background to gender and ecofeminist theory.

*