Nov
30

November Progress

This month, I repeated my assay of toxin and biofilm interactions on four different types of media, using both K2 and K28 toxin-producing strains and two different biofilm-forming strains.

Oct
31

Moving Forward

After my last post, I finally succeeded in visualizing K28 toxin production after testing several different potentially sensitive strains. I then used these strains to test for toxin production by the strains I had previously transformed with my K28 plasmid. Sadly, the transformants did not show toxin activity. I am now changing my approach in…
Read More

Sep
30

Toxin Troubles

This month, I transformed several non-biofilm-forming (smooth) yeast strains with a high copy number plasmid containing a K28 killer toxin cDNA cassette and an antibiotic resistance marker. My transformations yielded a good number of resistant colonies, suggesting that I may have successfully generated strains with my toxin cassette.

Aug
31

New Plasmid!

After a few weeks at home, I am now back on campus and returning to my research. After struggling to transform yeast strains with a cassette that would be incorporated into the genome, I am now instead going to use an extrachromosomal plasmid. After a few days of preparation, I am ready to attempt transformation…
Read More

Jul
31

Transformations and Testing

I have spent the past month continuing attempts to engineer my Trojan Horse strain. After many transformations, I obtained several strains that had potentially integrated the toxin cassette. To test for successful integration, I induced these strains to sporulate and then attempted to induce sporulation of their haploid segregants. Because the toxin cassette was targeted…
Read More