Oct
13

Belated September Update

Hello everyone! I apologize for the belatedness of this September update (it’s hard to believe it’s already October!). I thought I would give a brief update on what I did last month.

Aug
30

Imagining Oppression: Final Summer Update

It’s hard to believe that it’s already the first day of the semester! I spent the last month of summer reviewing the data I have collected so far, re-reading the relevant literature, and figuring out my next steps. While I didn’t quite achieve the level of productivity I’d been hoping for, I did make some…
Read More

Jul
31

July Update: Refining Codes & Fan Activism

With my time on campus coming to an end, I’ve been using the past week to take stock of what I’ve accomplished so far and what I still need to do. I’ve finished data collection and am now in the process of narrowing down and refining my codes. As I recorded almost 800 codes, this…
Read More

Jun
30

June Update: The Odds Are Not in Everyone’s Favor

Over the past month, I read and coded 4 of my 7 case study texts. I would be lying if I did not say that I am somewhat overwhelmed by the amount of data collected so far. The Hunger Games alone generated 132 codes. For clarification, that’s the novel The Hunger Games, not The Hunger…
Read More

May
30

First Day Back and The Cultural Diamond

Hello everyone! This is my first day back in Williamsburg and I’m ready to hit the ground running. As I mentioned in my abstract post, I will be conducting a qualitative case study of seven young adult novels with dystopian themes for their depictions of oppression, focusing on how these texts draw from contemporary and…
Read More