Aug
31

August Update

After countless failures during this summer, something finally seems to work. I have finally synthesized a precursor to my newly proposed ligand design on the very last day of the summer research session. I am optimistic that this is a correct step and will lead to results. The successful synthesis of this precursor will lead…
Read More

Jul
24

July Blog Post–An Alternative Approach

My recent attempts to perform the aromatic substitution have not been particularly successfully. Therefore, I have been looking up alternative procedures to achieve the pendant amine. Initial tests of new procedures on the unsubstituted ligand yielded little amount of product. To work around this, I decided to use the same procedure on the precursor of…
Read More

Jun
30

June Update

During the last month of research, I have found ways to successfully obtain products of the second part of my ligand synthesis. However, I had a lot of trouble trying to purify my crude product to proceed to the next step. Therefore, my next stage of work will be optimizing the ratio of reactants to…
Read More

May
31

Experiments started

  I came back from the break a few days before the summer research started, so I spent some time organizing myself and figuring out the logistics for my synthesis. After discussing some experimental protocols with my adviser, I found out the reason for the unsuccessful reactions during the last semesters, and worked out a…
Read More

Apr
14

Abstract: Investigation of the Catalytic Activity of an Earth-abundant Metal Complex for Proton Reduction

A new generation of solar technology, water-splitting dye sensitized photoelectrochemical cells (WS-DSPECs), have been developed  in hope to address the shortcomings of photovoltaic solar cells. A typical WS-DSPEC as depicted in the figure below, harnesses solar energy at the anode which oxidizes water to oxygen and transfer the electrons to the cathode for proton reduction…
Read More